BronnyB on Instagram

Sunday 2 August 2009

Thought Provoking Questions - About this great ART of Cross Stitch.....

OK - to start with, these are not even my questions, but thanks to Melissa, I'm going to pass them along - get us all thinking (as hard as it may be at times). Answer them on your own blog - get other readers thinking..... Refer back to Melissa's blog to see how these questions originated... it's food for thought.

6 Questions about Cross Stitch....

1)Why do you stitch? To release tensions, to create something, to make gifts for family and friends, to indulge my artistic side.

2) On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being least important and 10 being most important what is your cross stitch passion level? 10 can we spell O B S S E S S I V E ????

3)If you're only option for cross stitch supplies and patterns happened to be the major chain craft stores would you just walk away from the little X? Kiss it goodbye? I believe I am SABLE enough now to exist with what I have. I could NOT walk away from that little x now. I don't have a credit card, never will - I only have a major chain store to purchase my supplies from in any case.

4)Also are you so passionate about cross stitch that if indeed your only option was the major chain craft stores, would that inspire you to create your own cross stitch pieces because you have to stitch and you've stitched your way through the whole of Dimensions catalog--because you must stitch and the thought of life without a relationship with the little X leaves you feeling empty? If I don't have a needle and thread in my hand for more than a 2 days in a row, I get antsy. Sure, I'll design my own stuff. I'm not keen on what's available in my chain store (what is left after all the dedication to scrapbooking and knitting) - I look online for inspiration.

5)Finally what do the cross stitch magazines on the market offer you? Do they relate to you as a cross stitcher? Do you look at them and think to yourself, who do they think buys this magazine? I guess what I'm asking, when you see the current cross stitch magazines do they make you feel like they know their readers or do you find it's more of the same? What could they do to be ambassadors for the art of cross stitch other than putting a sampler on the cover with "F-U" on it? What are we missing on a PR level that could change the opinion of cross stitch itself? Magazines have changed drastically and while they offer interesting charts, on the whole I find the designs too 2-diemensional. While witty sayings on new style samplers may appeal to some younger stitchers, new to the creaft, I don't feel that they are lingering styles that will hold the attention beyond the first 4-5 small items - oh and leave out the mandatory button or bead that 'must' embellish the chart. Not always available to overseas stitchers on a budget!

6) And finally, finally, do you do other crafts and if so what are they and why do they pull you away from cross stitch? I drift into stitchery and patchwork, they pull me away for a short time, only if it is a quick and easy pattern. I will not step into attempting intricate patchwork patterns - rather leave that to the experts. I make my own FIMO buttons when time allows. I knit when I get the urge, but not anything specific.

Refer back to Melissa's blog to see how these questions originated... it's food for thought.

2 comments:

Cindy F. said...

This is great! and I especially agree with your re: the magazines!!

Bette said...

Very interesting questions and answers. I agree with the newer designs. Some cannot be distinquished from another. Give me the classics any day.