BronnyB on Instagram

Saturday 31 October 2009

My vintage sampler is in my hands at last - Introducing Mary!


Here is a sneak peek at my vintage sampler. After 3 months of careful saving - I was able to pick her up this morning - I am so stoked! She is mine!
I will be contacting the National Gallery for advice on conserving her - I am not concerned at all about the frame - a typical Victorian Mourning style - the dealer believed her to be stitched about 1880, but the name combination exists only once in the past 200 years in the UK - Martha was born in 1831. The sampler states 'Aged 9 Years' - which means it was stitched in 1840 - 169 years ago.
Can you understand why I am so excited?????
I'm not going to post a full picture until I have this charted - it is my intention to do a bit more research, then release a chart to interested parties.
Yes there is some research to do, but she is in my hands now and will be loved. Hubby has already suggested that I stitch a reproduction and hang it side-by-side. We'll see.
There are small holes and tears, some that were clearly darned before it was framed, some newer ones as the linen is disintegrating - which is why I'll be quickly looking into the conservation of this piece. Some of the little motifs are stitched over 1 - hard to show the detail - but here is the ship - most of the colours have faded, but it is still clear to see the blue and the green. More research needed there too....

Join me in a happy dance?

happy happy happy !!!!!

11 comments:

Daffycat said...

Congratulations, Bronny! It is very beautiful! I can't wait to see it in full glory!

Mandy said...

Wow, that looks great! I can't wait to see the full picture as well!

JillinIL said...

What a fortunate find! I can't wait to see ALL of Mary!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

I am thrilled for you, Bronny! I would love to own a beautiful, antique sampler! I would love to see the whole thing!

scotstwinmum said...

Bronny I am glad you finally have your sampler, it is gorgeous

Pam said...

Bronny, that is amazing!!!! I am so happy for you that you are able to have that.

Bette said...

What a treasure that is! It is beautiful. And made even more precious by all the work you did to obtain it.

Sweet Sue said...

Good for you, it's such a thrill isn't it!

Sweet Stitchin...

Aussie Stitcher said...

It is gorgeous Bronny, looking forward to seeing more information about it as you find it.

Tammy said...

What a treasure you have!!!

Karen said...

What a great find! Kudos to you...