BronnyB on Instagram

Sunday 15 January 2012

Family Group Photo - Thirty Years on...



Same Family - here is a family group shot - taken in 1939 or 1940
Right at the back, in the middle - is my Grandfather - still with his moustache.  The little boy in short pants in the front row is my Dad.   The couple in the middle are my Great Grand Parents and I think the occasion is their Golden Wedding Anniversary.  The woman in the back row, with the striped blouse and white collar is my Grandmother, and it is her parents.  I'll have to wait for an answer from my sister (The Oracle), to identify all the others. (apart from my three aunts - I know them....)


Further evidence on the previous photo - Thank you to those who offered information - The guess now is that the photo was taken in the summer of 1905 - the year after my Grandfather's Father died.  This would explain the black ribbons on all the hats.
The slouch hat on the knee of the lower left gentleman, may indicate he is the relation who fought in the Boer War.  UK forces wore the slouch hat in the later part of the Boer War, which by then had been adopted by the Aussie & NZ forces.  This gentleman is believed to be Kit, who later emigrated to NZ.


Any further Family History information, may be posted on another blog I'm thinking of setting up - to deal purely with Family History research.....As I'm off work next week, I may have time to set it all up - and re-arrange my graphics....


Well, after scanning 70 photos tonight - it's time for sleep.
Tomorrow starts week 3 of my stitching rotation - Cottages - and I have Shores of Hawk Run hollow patiently waiting for me....

3 comments:

Denise said...

I've been scanning and printing old family photos too. The worst part - not knowing who is in the photo, why it was taken or what year. But, aren't old photos the best?

Have fun with your project!

cucki said...

So nice to more know about this lovely photo...
Keep well xxx

Karen said...

Glad to hear of the holidays. You need them.