BronnyB on Instagram

Sunday 5 July 2020

July and progress report on June Stitching

I've caught up to date with my 2020 Temperature SAL.  As of last night, June is completed.  I have yet to add the motifs on the side of the months, but will add those when the year is done, I'm not quite sure what to stitch there yet..  I'm happy to stitch this with these colours, as this will give me an indication how to set out my 2021 Weather Sheep  (Aha!  a title - Wethers of 2021 !)   This colour scheme was selected with one colour for 2 degrees of temperature...l  and there is so much of five colours.. so that's 8 degree variance..  so next year, I might look at one colour floss per degree.  While deep red and dark orange might represent the higher degrees, I feel the aqua and teal shades should be around the 20-25 degree, rather than the 14-21 degrees pr
edominant from April-June. 
The May and June minimum and maximum temperatures have a variance of 6 colours and we are now moving into the colder months, so June should show a predominance of the purple/lilac.
I know the colours on the guide above are not accurate - DMC3835 is more a purple than a dull rose for 4-5degrees, but it helps when I'm making an excel chart.
I've also sorted out a few more of my scraps into predetermined sized squares and strips - a plan to spend 30 min to one hour per week to then have the ability to run a stash-busting quilt weekend. 
So using fabric boxes from Ikea (don't you just love repurposing items) and my bargain strip boxes from the Reject Shop - (Painters Tape makes GREAT temporary labels!) my huge tub of scraps are being organised by size instead of colour (until I have all my scraps cut to size, then you just know my OCD will kick in and I'll have to organise them into colours...  sigh!)  I hope also to make up bags of scraps to trade with other patchwork friends down the track...
My next patchwork project is to finish this lap quilt.  I will back it with one of the two (or both) the black/white fabrics and plan to bind it with a bright yellow.  I want to embroider a few buzzy bees around the stars, turning them into sunflowers. I am feeling the urge to hand-quilt this quilt too.. This quilt will then become a car quilt for my NEW CAR!!   Oh excitement, I have ordered a new Toyota Hybrid C-HR which will arrive in 10-12 weeks.  Of course, I have picked the vibrant Hornet Yellow as a colour and her name will be Honey.  So this quilt top, made about 2 years ago, will be perfect for her.
ohh  almost forgot... picked up a box of vintage items from the local facebook marketplace - mostly for the wooden cotton reels, but weeding out the other random items, these were the best.  The pink papers are all rusted through, and I would never use the pins inside the packets, but are an interesting look into how pins were supplied to dressmakers - I would hesitate to guess these are from mid-60s.  A few random buttons and elastic on card/foil and zippers for my collection - best of all was the round blue pin tin - metal and in mint condition because there were no pins left in it to rust it from the inside out....so quite a few nice things to add to my sewing room decor.  The box is a lid (only) for children's socks.  Just a nice peek into manchester items of times past.
Time for me now to get into my weekend projects - to stitch or sew while inspiration hits me...
Please leave a comment - particularly the new visitors - Where are you visiting from? 

1 comment:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The Temperature SAL is looking great. I like you need to do one to see how the colours work out and then do another one tweaking them!
Nice vintage haul too.

ps I'm in England!