BronnyB on Instagram

Saturday 6 February 2021

February - Meteo, WIPGO and a few more

Hello Stitchy friends,

It seems to be too long since I last posted. I have some things to share with you.  My last post was to be released with my first floss-tube and that video is still being edited, so I’ll move on.



I have recently spent a week on holiday – although the original plan was a 3 week drive to Queensland and back to see my Grandchildren, Covid-19 restrictions meant plans had to be changed.  We eventually spent a week in East Gippsland – at a wonderful dog-friendly campground, Best Friends Holiday Retreat.  Although we do not have a dog, the owners are friends of our Scouting Family and it was a perfect, relaxing break.  There was limited internet and no mobile coverage at the campground, so a break from social media was welcome.  I have returned, feeling quite rested.
  There was time for bushwalks and a chance to have a close look at a Temperate Rain Forest

This also meant a good time to stitch.  I finished the 2020 Meteo SAL, and made good progress on my WIPGO February block 4 – Shores of Hawk Run Hollow. 


My goal was to finish one block, and as I am currently working on blocks 6-7 am setting my goal to finish the ship and start on the sea during February.   I think I have made reasonable progress over the past few days







METEO de MOUTONS 2021

I have a finish – The 2020 Meteo project. 


I have finished the December temperature and added all the required motifs.  As Melbourne was under lockdown for more than 7 months of the year, padlocks do feature.  I added bushfire to the start of the year to symbolise the fires that were so devastating to most of Australia on New Year’s Eve.  In this household, there are 3 birthdays in 6 days in February, There are a few more either side, so a birthday cake will suffice.  In October, I took delivery of a brand-new  Yellow car – my HoneyB CH-R.  The remaining motifs are just random trees and flowers to fill the spaces.

I have also progressed on Melbourne Meteo de Moutons 2021. 


All the paddocks are completed, I have determined the floss colours to use for each degree and stitched the daily symbols across the top to show the days of the week.  I hope to make a start on the legs of the sheep soon with one colour for all sheep.  The exceptions will be to show birthdays during the year with bright legs.

WIPGO JANUARY – As part of WIPGO, the numbers called  for January related to Something Seasonal, Something Seasonal and No Guilt Start.  My last post shows how much was achieved on the Mirabilia Mermaids of the Deep – I have subsequently invested in some equivalent beads and will return to this stitch shortly  I have no further stitching progress to share on this chart since my last post.


However, I do have two finishes for something seasonal.   The quick small chart chosen was Lizzie Kate’s Hocus Pocus (Halloween IS a season!)  This has been FFO’d into a small pincushion already and will sit on my shelf until after Halloween this year.

I found Modern Folk Embroidery through floss-tube and was particularly struck by one design – How Doth the Busy Bee.   

I really enjoyed the stitching of this one.  I used 28 count Lugana from Picture this Plus – one of the fabrics in my stash from years ago, the floss was Victorian Motto Sampler Shoppe Golden Leaves and a dash of DMC 797 for the cornflower blue.  This I was inspired to add to the chart by a flower growing in my small garden by my front door.  I really enjoyed stitching this, whether it was the design, floss, fabric – I don’t know, but the whole project just flew under my fingers and I hope to frame this shortly.

WIPGO FEBRUARY - As part of WIPGO 2021, I have changed out block 20 as I have yet to fully design the original choice – ‘Raise your Glasses’  I now have it set for an OwlForest design –

Kingfisher – and will be participating with LadyRobynS as part of her birthday SAL.  Due to there being a bit of an embargo of postage from Russia to Australia, I had to source alternate floss for this project.  I didn’t want to stitch this with just DMC, but went looking for suitable overdyes. 

I found just what I wanted while on holiday – Country Cottage floss as shown (the lime green on the very right is an extra – purchased because it ‘looked’ at me)   I’ll be searching my stash for the right fabric to stitch this on and I should be ready to start this on the 15th February.  Yarram Drapery had a lovely supply of overdyes. and fabrics

HAUL

A couple of weeks ago, I was watching a floss tube, and something was said, that set me off on a tangent (all to do with ships on samplers) and somehow I found myself looking at a book – BRENDA KEYS – ‘ULTIMATE SAMPLER MOTIFS SOURCE BOOK’


– well I snatched that up without a moment’s thought and it arrived this week.   It is EXCELLENT – if you like working and designing your own samplers, this is a great reference book.  There is no history for any of the designs, look elsewhere for that information, this is just grid after grid of motifs, numbers, letters.  I have used this already to plot the lettering for 2021 Meteo de Moutons.

 

I also found a chance to pick up one or two fat quarters from both Quilt shops I visited whilst at Yarram.  (Small country town with it’s priorities quite firm – a good bakery – 3 op shops and 2 quilt shops!) 


Of course the sheepie fabric leapt out at me, but I also have another couple of fabrics to add to an Australiana Baby quilt I have been asked to make.  This is the fabric collected at Trintarabee Quilting

 

FROG VISIT - I have made a decision to rip out all that I have stitched so far on Mermaids of the Deep.  The fabric I chose, was not speaking to me and there was a strong probability, that there would not be a lot of margin on the sides of the fabric for the full design.  Late last night, I selected another fabric, and will be making another start on this later in the month.

 

That should be enough of my ramblings for now.  I do hope to release a floss-tube shortly – there is some editing to be done on my first try, or I may record a fresh one and leave the first try as a blooper reel.

 

 

 

2 comments:

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

The Temperature chart looks wonderful and I like the little personalisations too. I said I wouldn't do another one but I saw a lovely bookshelf design! And now I'm wondering whether to jump in.
Glad you enjoyed your break, it must be nice to get away completely.
I think I have the Brenda Keyes book, or a very similar one by her. I do like her samplers and ideas.

*-* said...

Oh, Bronny! I do love the look of your temperature piece for last year. Had a chuckle when I looked up your padlocks. What a great record you have made. Hugs,
Kay.