BronnyB on Instagram

Saturday 17 October 2020

October 2020 - Don't Overthink things...


Hello friends.  I really hope there are more than just one of you out there reading this.  Am I still in archaic land just blogging – writing about my stitching life?   I really need to teach myself to use Instagram and branch out there.  I am also thinking about branching out into Flosstube videos, because I know I can really talk a lot better than typing.   I feel that some of the Flosstubes I am watching I am sitting opposite a stitchy friend and just watching a private show and tell.

Something to ponder in the weeks ahead.  Just a chat between you and I – where I show you what I’ve been working on…. Pretty much exactly what I’ve been blogging on for the past 10 or so years.

I have not felt so motivated last weekend, because I didn’t feel I had anything to share on the Saturday afternoon I put aside to talk to you.   This week I do have a couple of finishes to show, but cannot say that I have bound the mugmats and mini quilts from a couple of weeks ago..   I might have a look at these over the weekend.  I want to clear up and re-organise my craft area, pack away all the excess floss from all the projects started for the past 2-3 months…  particularly spending some time cutting up my scraps.

My stitching rotations have all gone manky wumpus over the past few weeks because I dropped Harriet Salt much earlier, stagnated again on Shores of Hawk Run Hollow and the SAL got too close to finish – I seem to have completely lost what week was what to work on which pattern.  Was it the Temp SAL?  Was it my Christmas Tablecloth?  How close was it to the 20th of the month?  Did I have to finish that month’s section of the TOL SAL?  I was also doings


I have finished the lilac version of my SAL – the beads are all attached now and all the bands are stitched, including an extra band on the bottom to round off the alphabet.  I think I will make a couple of quick Christmas Ornaments from the square motifs near the bottom and have them ready to send out for my Christmas Stitchaglongs.   I don’t think I’ll frame this one, as I will be framing the blue one.  This one may be made into a wall hanging and sent out as a gift this year.  What would you think if this turned up in your letterbox for Christmas?

In my last blog post – I showed the Storm At Sea blocks started.  I did put this together, finding that 2 of the long diamond blocks had come out of the copier a whole 3mm smaller than the rest of the foundation blocks had printed and the same for one of the major square blocks – this meant that I had to put those 3 blocks aside and re-make them.  Fortunately I had enough of the scraps in the right colours to do so.  I was then able to put it all together.   


I was unable to see the full effect of the blended colours until I took this picture and I was so amazed at the shading and how well all the colours worked.  I have put this one aside for awhile, while I think whether to make a scrappy border – or rather to frame it in navy blue batik – then yes, it gets bound and will end up in this year’s gift pile.  (should I set aside one week in November for a binding binge?)

I do have a quilty finish – I HAVE finished the binding on this one, but there will be no complete photos shared anywhere until I do the official photo shoot when I PICK UP MY NEW CAR !!!!   I have spent a few nights where I normally do cross stitching, instead stitching the binding on.  


I have made labels which now adorn my sewing machine simply saying:  Don’t Overthink it.   Otherwise, I would have overthought the backing – but instead just used two lengths of fabric I had put aside for the purpose.  One is the fabric used on the legs of the stars, one is a simple black/white fabric that was asking to be used.  Both of these are good as the quilting does not show up on them.   I love the way the binding pops on the quilt – but no full photo until after I pick up my car…. Come back next weekend.

Time today to let you get back to your stitching pleasures – I have been watching Pumpkin Hollow Quilts flosstube and enjoying watching Olivia and seeing what she is stitching…  I’m envious…

3 comments:

Bette said...

I'm still reading. I don't watch floss tube videos so I still enjoy reading blogs. Not sure if I want to get hooked on the videos. I do like Instagram. whichever you decide I will be following you since I have from years back. I even sent you some sheepie charts when you were doing your yearly themes.

Barb said...

Your SAL is so pretty. I love the colors in it.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I am definitely still here! As are several other people whose blogs I have been catching up on this evening.
I'm doing the Halloween Blog Hop if you want to join in and attract a few new followers.
I think about FlossTube but the recording, editing, uploading and so on seems to take a lot more time than blogging. Plus I like being able to search my blog quickly and easily for details of previous projects. I would watch you though!