BronnyB on Instagram

Saturday 18 July 2020

Mid Month roundup and progress.


Hexies.

OMG - I've finally succumbed

I bought 1/2" and 3/4" laser cut hexie papers and templates to start. Now remember, these are measured by the SIDES of the hexagons, not the width. How people can work with 1/4" hexies is beyond me - let alone complete full on quilts

Anyway... have been having fun using up my 2-1/2" squares that I've been cutting up out of my scrap buckets to make my beginning stash of 3/4" hexies. I have no discernible project for this yet. I am pleased to discover a new use for my 1-1/2" square scraps - they fit the 1/2" hexie papers nicely.

Hexies - not exactly a NEW craft, just a sidestep from Patchwork and a method of handstitching that does not need the intense concentration of cross-stitch.



Open Rotary Cutters - all set to left hand
On a facebook forum, the question was raised about left handed rotary cutters.  I shared a pic of my cutters and thought to show it here too.

The green one a Clover brand is my favourite, swapping the blade also swaps the seating, from R to L, meaning the action to open comes out on the better angle. The purple one was my first, and the blade comes out the top. The blade is reserved for non fabric cutting and the handle is marked as such. This and the red cutter are Birch cutters. The blue one is an ergonomic Fiskar won in a competition. It has a thumb button on the other side of the handle when set up as right handed, to retract the blade.  I don’t use it much, have to get used to handling it – more like a bike handlebar than a pencil grip.

 

I have stitched up one version of the July SAL, and will show that on the 20th, so have freed up this weekend to continue tidying up my sewing area

 

I have embroidered 6 bees on my Honey-B quilt.  I may or may not get around to working on the back for this quilt this weekend.  The car is on order, so there is no rush.  I want to really time the finish of this quilt to match when the car arrives…..  Each bee is slightly different.  I might go back and add antennae – or may not..